Silver Current Designs: An Entrepreneurial Adventure

Employment, unemployment, self-employment, and everything in between.


Check out our shop! http://www.silvercurrentdesigns.etsy.com/


LIKE us on Facebook!

FOLLOW Silver Current Designs on Twitter!

FOLLOW Silver Current Designs on Instagram!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

It All Starts Here...

Self-employment. The ultimate dream. Doing business while you're in your pajamas. Making money for yourself, not for someone else.

Welcome to my blog, you're gonna freaking love it! I will be posting bi-weekly, on Tuesday and Thursday nights. This will be a challenge for me as I don't like schedules. At first I thought weekly would be enough, but then I figured bi-weekly would be better to hold your attention. I certainly can't do daily postings, I don't have that kind of time! Another hurdle will be keeping my postings concise and focused on a certain topic... I do tend to ramble once I get typing... tangent anyone??

The idea for Silver Current Designs began when I found  myself suddenly unemployed at the end of 2009. Having been 'let go' from a non-profit org because I was unhappy (really, that's the reason they gave me), I had plenty of time to develop my hobby of jewelry making. Since then I have bounced around between unemployment, employment and self-employment. Currently I hold a full-time office job, not too demanding, not too challenging; fairly mindless work which allows me to direct most of my energies toward this project.

I began a website in early 2010 to sell my handmade jewelry. Posted a few items, then didn't touch it for over a year. This past summer I have been making more jewelry and have been adding items to the site little by little. I have not had any sales so far on the website. One of the biggest problems with the site is lack of merchandise, but I'll get into that at a later date. I did some vendor shows in 2010 with some successes, some utter failures. Finding my audience and finding appropriate venues to sell my jewelry and art work is an ongoing ordeal.

With this blog I will be documenting my experiences in developing a small business, my adventures in the world of craft shows, sharing amusing vendor show anecdotes (wait til I tell you about the Pickle Guy), celebrating my successes, cursing my failures, and passing on any wisdom I have gleaned. I will evaluate myself and try to determine if I have the self-discipline necessary to be a successful business owner. Part of the reason I chose to start a blog was to motivate myself. I am hoping it will force me to be active in developing my business, otherwise I will have nothing to write about!

Future postings will involve a variety of topics- I'll try to keep them related to the business and website but my mind does wander... Subjects will include registering a business name, purchasing materials, creative thought processes, work/production schedules, craft shows, Etsy, metal market prices, taxes and finances (and the big bad IRS), painting inspiration, various muses and the purchasing of multi-million dollar properties around the world (look for that last one in a few years). I have to say there will most likely be the occasional social commentary or political outburst, sometimes I just can't help it!

This is my journey. This is my adventure. Life is for taking chances, for pursuing your dreams, and for striving to reach your fullest potential. It's gonna be an interesting ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment