Silver Current Designs: An Entrepreneurial Adventure

Employment, unemployment, self-employment, and everything in between.


Check out our shop! http://www.silvercurrentdesigns.etsy.com/


LIKE us on Facebook!

FOLLOW Silver Current Designs on Twitter!

FOLLOW Silver Current Designs on Instagram!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Multitasking- How Much is Too Much?

Today's Silver Price: $32.80

This past Thursday night I was multitasking. I was watching a live online forum in which the topic was using social media to promote your small business, writing a blog post, posting on Facebook, posting on Twitter, and updating my website. Whoa!

I think at some point doing to many things at once not only becomes overwhelming, but can also be detrimental to your productivity. If you are doing five things at once, one or more is going to suffer because you are not giving the task your full attention. Multitasking can also lead to errors, mistakes or mixups. Details can be overlooked when your are not focused on one thing.

My life is one big multitasking tornado. Working a full time job, trying to develop a business, attempting to keep my home clean, fighting to stay healthy... and have I mentioned that I'm planning my wedding? Yeah. There's a lot going on. So I often have to make a choice as to what gets put on the back burner. Maybe I really need to post new pictures on my Etsy site... but you know what? I also have to get my Save the Date cards mailed out. It's a constant game of prioritization and re-prioritization. Luckily my full-time job does not spill over into after hours- once I leave the building at the end of the work day I don't have to think about it until the next morning. However working full-time only leaves me with four or five hours in the evening to get other things done. So I roll up my sleeves and get to multitasking!

Lately I've been wondering if this is a healthy way to exist, always doing several things at once. My brain is not used to juggling so much and I have become very forgetful. I have to stay organized otherwise it does become too overwhelming. Making 'To Do' lists seems to help keep me on track and remind me of things that need to be done. There are only so many things I can keep track of in my head before they start falling out of my ears. Lol. I often feel as if I am going against my own grain as I believe I am naturally a lazy person. Lazy people are not successful people! All this multitasking is making my schizophrenic. Lazy Sara wants to sit on the couch and watch movies. Business Sara wants to post ten more items on the website and then Tweet about them, post on Facebook about them and blog about them! I suppose if I were not working an office job during the day I would feel less bogged down and would be able to peruse these websites all day at my leisure...  but that's not happening any time soon!

It's hard to find a balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment