Silver Current Designs: An Entrepreneurial Adventure

Employment, unemployment, self-employment, and everything in between.


Check out our shop! http://www.silvercurrentdesigns.etsy.com/


LIKE us on Facebook!

FOLLOW Silver Current Designs on Twitter!

FOLLOW Silver Current Designs on Instagram!

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Longing for the More Compliated Life...

Today's Silver Price: $33.40/t.oz.


As I sat in my office today under the fluorescent lights and in the dry stagnant air, I realized that I always feel crappy when I'm at work. Physically crappy. Staring at a computer screen all day makes my eyes burn and sitting in a chair that's too big for me makes my whole body unhappy. Don't get me wrong, it's a good job and I am happy to have it (happy to have the steady paycheck), the office is laid back and people are decent. I just feel that it is not not a healthy place. This thought was exemplified today by the wicked headache that descended upon me at approximately 3:15pm... and still lingers in my temples now.

I know that I am in no position to be quitting a full-time job to pursue jewelry making as a career. That is the goal though. Self-employment. Being my own boss. Getting up when my body wants to get up, not when the alarm tells me to get up.

They say that when you own your own business you work twice as hard, twice as many hours. They also say if you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life. Operating a small business is no easy feat. Certainly not the simple life... or is it? Instead of a company of a few thousand, I would be a company of one. One person creating and selling a product. No sales department, no HR department, just me. Simple. Terrifying? Yes, maybe, but still simple. No coworkers means no miscommunications. One person makes the decisions, not a committee or board. One person does the work and one person receives the profits. Simple.

The hard part comes in staying motivated, keeping track of EVERYTHING, performing a juggling act. One person to purchase materials, manufacture the product, market the product, sell the product, collect payment, manage the budget. There would be no one to give me deadlines. No one to assign me tasks. No one to review my performance. Just me, myself and I.

I had a few days off from work recently. One of those days I spent making jewelry. I absolutely LOVE spending an entire day making jewelry. I truly believe that someday this will be my job. Getting up in the morning, having a leisurely cup of coffee (rather than drinking it in the car on the way to the office), deciding not to take a shower, listening to some kickass music, and then when I feel like it, settling down at the kitchen table or coffee table to make some jewelry. (((Sigh.))) The good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment