Silver Current Designs: An Entrepreneurial Adventure

Employment, unemployment, self-employment, and everything in between.


Check out our shop! http://www.silvercurrentdesigns.etsy.com/


LIKE us on Facebook!

FOLLOW Silver Current Designs on Twitter!

FOLLOW Silver Current Designs on Instagram!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Copper Oxidation

Today's Silver Price: $29.54/t.oz.

Ok, not copper plumbing, copper jewelry. I've been doing some research on polishing copper as I have had some trouble with my copper jewelry. I had ordered a large quantity of copper recently and made some interesting pieces. The copper strip and copper wire arrived in spools and was very shiny and smooth. I made some earrings and made a prototype for a cuff bracelet.

I participated in an outdoor vendor party in the beginning of December. After a few hours outside I noticed that the copper was no longer shiny. At the end of the day I was slightly horrified to see that the copper items had become dark and tarnished. They were no longer bright and shiny, the very qualities that made the jewelry attractive.

Apparently when untreated copper is exposed to outdoor elements it oxidizes and looses it's shine. It becomes dull and looks dirty, and in a way it is dirty. Oxidized copper can leave black or green marks on skin which is a problem in jewelry making. Copper will turn green if left outdoors, most famously illustrated by the Statue of Liberty which is made of copper.

In order to prevent copper from oxidizing it must be treated with a solution or polishing compound. These solutions are applied with a polishing wheel or Dremel tool as I would use. I have to do more research to find out exactly what polishing compounds should be used on copper. From what I have read these compounds will not keep copper jewelry bright and shiny for ever, it will keep it shiny and polished for quite some time. It should also prevent the copper from leaving any marks on the skin.

I was truly disappointed when I saw the copper cuff bracelet turn dark and dull. I thought that I may have wasted time and money on the large amount of copper material I had purchased. However it turns out I was just not familiar with copper and how to work with it and polish it!

I am amazed by how much I have learned about jewelry making, and I am also amazed at how much I still have to learn. Little by little I am becoming a jewelry expert! I am eager to learn as much as I can about working with different metals and different materials, and I am happy to be able to share all I have learned through this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment