Silver Current Designs: An Entrepreneurial Adventure

Employment, unemployment, self-employment, and everything in between.


Check out our shop! http://www.silvercurrentdesigns.etsy.com/


LIKE us on Facebook!

FOLLOW Silver Current Designs on Twitter!

FOLLOW Silver Current Designs on Instagram!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Silver, Copper, Brass, Nickle, Pewter... All of the Above?

Today's Silver Price: $26.89/t.oz.

Wow-za! Silver prices are pretty low right now! It would be a great time to by materials, but I just don't have the money right now. Christmas tapped me out. Hopefully these prices will remain low into the new year and I can get a good deal when I'm ready to stock up again.

I've been looking at silver-filled wire and components on Rio Grande's website lately. Silver-filled is a silver coating over a base metal such as brass. The coating is thicker and supposedly more durable than silver-plated. I'd like to get some wire and experiment with it. The only problem is an exposed edge would show the brass core, so I would have to be creative to hide that.

I think I will also start using metals such as aluminum, nickle and possibly pewter. Many jewelry suppliers have a large selection of lead-free pewter components. I have to get over the idea that I was only going to make sterling silver jewelry. It just isn't realistic given the price of silver these days. Also I have seen that people will buy costume jewelry, and they will buy it like it's going out of style. Women seem less concerned with high-priced accessories these days.

I've gotten a lot of positive feedback and several sales with copper items, so I will continue to include copper jewelry in my collection.

Another material I need to examine is glass from broken wine bottles. I think with the right tools, ie the right Dremel bits, I can shape and smooth the broken glass pieces into jewelry components.

2012 should be a very constructive and productive year. I plan to learn a lot of new jewelry making skills so that I can expand my product line and attract wider variety of customers... and to satisfy my own creative curiosities! I love learning new things and I love creating something new. I am looking forward to the challenges and triumphs that 2012 will bring!


Have a happy and safe new year, I'll be back in 2012 with more adventures in entrepreneurship!

No comments:

Post a Comment